Friday, January 22, 2010

Heidi Montag Seeks Barbie Status

There are many things in the world that inspire my ire, but rarely do I notice the goings-on of the faux celebrity/reality stars like Paris Hilton or Lauren Conrad. For all the things in pop culture that I love, that vein of celebrity holds no interest to me. Until it spills over into my realm of interest. Some of the big news lately has been Heidi Montag's testimonials about her forays into the world of plastic surgery. She admits that she is "beyond obsessed" with plastic surgery, and her quest for the "perfect" body. In Montag's quest, she has spent thousands of dollars on plastic surgery in order to become the what is "perfect" and "normal". It pains me on a number of levels to think that someone so high profile as Heidi Montag would spout forth the belief that perfection for women can only be achieved via plastic surgery. And to go a step further, why must there be a search for perfection anyway? Who ever said that we must be perfect? True, Hollywood has done its best over the last few decades to convince us that women are only beautiful if they are preternaturally thin, large breasted, usually blond, and in great shape. I believe in looking your best, in being fit and healthy, in taking care of yourself. So I suppose this is why it outrages me even more. Montag destroys the idea that we can become out best self by improving ourselves, and instead preaches that going under the knife will make you the dream person you always thought you could be. See Newsweek's article, which breaks down Montag's proclivities nicely: http://www.newsweek.com/id/231093/page/1

No comments:

Post a Comment