Wednesday, September 1, 2010

This is My Life

Sometimes weird things happen to me.  I would go so far as to say that sometimes I feel like a homing pigeon for weird people and events.  Having said that, I had a really odd encounter the other day.

I was outside a restaurant down the street from my office, waiting for a couple girlfriends I was meeting for lunch.  I people watched for a few minutes; I was early so I had some time to kill.  This guy meanwhile wanders up next to me, and sort of hovers.  Irritated, I pulled out my phone and start checking emails, Facebook, anything, trying my best to emit "stay away" vibes.  Then the guy starts to talk. 
Him:  Pretty humid out today (keep in mind this is Florida in the summer.  It's always hot, what matters is how humid it is)
Me:  (I barely glance up and keep studying my phone) Yup, sure is. 
Him:  So...you meeting someone here?
Me: (sighing in annoyance)  Sure am.  Waiting for a couple friends.

It's a simple enough exchange, right?  At this point, I'm still trying to be nice, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure he's hitting on me.  It's not in my nature to be automatically cruel or rude, despite how I may feel about the situation.  So I try to at least give off "leave me alone" vibes without being a jerk.  Did it work?  Oh no, he kept talking to me.  Over the next 10 minutes, I learned that he had moved here for California, is terribly lonely, works in IT, left a girlfriend of 4 years in California, is convinced she's cheating on him, is thinking about hiring a private investigator to find out more about said cheating, is analyzing her phone bills to see how long she talks to other guys,  and on and on and on. 

Really?  Who stands next to someone and spews their life story like that?  It was both weird and sad.  Weird because c'mon, wtf?  And sad because the kid was clearly lonely, and coming a little unhinged about his relationship.

It was like talking to a wall.  He kept asking me "Do you think she's cheating on me?"  and I answered (probably somewhat callously) "Cut the cord, son.  If she's not moving out here and you're not going back there, don't drag it out." 

It was just such a weird exchange, to the point that I don't know how to describe it.  I wound up counseling the kid about it.  A friend said I should offer street corner counseling.  I kept waiting for the hidden camera to pop out.

No comments:

Post a Comment