Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Beginnings

I recently visited San Francisco, and while there, found my way to a lot of locals spots and most of the tourist traps available. One our last day there, before heading back to the hotel to prepare for our 3:30 a.m. wake-up call in preparation of our EARLY flight, we made our way to China Town. In general, I am not a hard and fast believer of horoscopes, zodiacs, and that ilk. But...I'm a Cancer, and I'm a LOT like my sign. And in the Chinese Zodiac, I was born in the Year of the Rat.

Now, I mention all this as an explanation for why I'm starting this blog. While giggling over various knick knacks meant to sell hapless tourists a piece of the Orient, by way of the city on the bay, I happened upon little scrolls that talk about your Chinese zodiac. For mine, the Rat (how am I both a rat and a cancer?) it opined that for the first part of my life, I had done little to distinguish myself. At first, affronted, the more I pondered the more I came to the realization that I really haven't done much to make myself stand out. And I want to be a copywriter. I want to take over the world. I want to travel to corners of the world and see things that blow my mind. I desire greatness, I always have. So perhaps this is the time to grasp it. To "achieve my potential", or, as a teacher I had in high school told me upon graduation, she couldn't wait to see what I did "with all that talent you've been sitting on for four years". I remember being really offended by that. Though perhaps with my recent birthday, I have also gained knowledge, or at least the benefit of hindsight.

So, despite my ramblings, I am going to attempt this blog. Hopefully, I will hone some skills. I will improve my writing. And maybe, just maybe, find some people who actually care about what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment